This and last week I took some time off to tackle some of my bigger projects. First on the list was the renovation of my medieval market tent. Last year I used it twice, so it is basically functioning. But there is always something you can improve. 

First I gave the viking tent’s canopy a slight slope. The canopy basically is a inverted triangle that is added in the front to the base triangle of the viking tent. This means initially the canopy was of a height with the tent gable, which is almost three metres. Now the front edge is only 180cm high. This looks a lot more inviting and additionally rainwater can just flow off the front. And in my experience it always rains when a renaissance faire takes place. 

And I finally have fitting timber wedges, to put together the viking tent’s wooden frame. Like this I can assemble the tent much faster. Last year I had to uses ropes in many areas. Now I only have to do that on the cross-beam of the canopy, but I can’t do it differently there.

Additionally I added joining pieces to the side walls. The normal tarpaulin is only meant for a viking tent without canopy (so only one triangle), but the canopy adds another triangle, so the side wall is missing a triangle. There the wind likes to blow through there and bring the rain with it. The joining piece is the missing triangle of tarpaulin. And since I was already working on that, I also added new closures on all side pieces. Before it was rope loops and wooden catches, now it’s only interwoven rope loops.

With that done I’m almost satisfied with my viking tent. What’s missing is diagonal rigging with metal wire, so the wooden frame can’t warp too much. And additionally I need tarpaulin to completely close the front of the canopy, so I can sleep in my tent undisturbed. The pieces for the first I will get this week and for the latter I can use normal mesh canvas.

And now I know that my viking tent fits into my garden. Barely. See the pictures.